Rare Eye problem in Kokoda trekkerMay 17th, 2010
There was a recent news report of an Australian MP who contracted n unusual germ halfway across the Kokoda track. He suddenly went blind. The report states he has subsequently recovered some sight in one eye.
The germ they report as the suspected cause was referred to as a ‘spiny amoeba’.
The technical name for this is Acanthamoeba. It is known cause of eye infection in contact lens wearers, or persons who have severe immune problem.
Thankfully this germ is very rare.
Keep your head out of the water when swimming in ground surface waters.
Always wash your face with clean water – preferably boiled. Contact lens wearers should follow guidelines provided by their contact lenses supplier.